Not all subscribed items included in the reader

May 5, 2010 at 2:02 AM
Edited May 5, 2010 at 2:17 AM

Hi, i noticed that not all items that i have subscribed in  Google Reader are listed in my desktop google reader by codeplex. i also notice that the program can only list maximum of 100 unread items only and not more than that. i have checked the setting for this but it couldn't be set. can you help?

Coordinator
May 5, 2010 at 5:31 AM
kabrio wrote:

Hi, i noticed that not all items that i have subscribed in  Google Reader are listed in my desktop google reader by codeplex. i also notice that the program can only list maximum of 100 unread items only and not more than that. i have checked the setting for this but it couldn't be set. can you help?

Yes, there is currently a fixed limitation of 100 items at once in the app which I hope to get rid off with next release. We had quite some people which had problems when fetching more than those 100.

I will create a debug release tomorrow with which I will try to get around this issue and back to all unread items with 1.3.1. If this won't be successful 2.0 will for sure get around this as the fetching progress is being rewritten from scratch than.

I will get back to you tomorrow with a link for the testing release with more than 100 items :)

May 5, 2010 at 6:30 AM
tlhanGhun wrote:
kabrio wrote:

Yes, there is currently a fixed limitation of 100 items at once in the app which I hope to get rid off with next release. We had quite some people which had problems when fetching more than those 100.

I will create a debug release tomorrow with which I will try to get around this issue and back to all unread items with 1.3.1. If this won't be successful 2.0 will for sure get around this as the fetching progress is being rewritten from scratch than.

I will get back to you tomorrow with a link for the testing release with more than 100 items :)

Great! Thanks a lot!

Coordinator
May 6, 2010 at 2:15 PM

Could you try http://dl.dropbox.com/u/982128/Tlhan%20Ghun/DesktopGoogleReader/Setup-DesktopGoogleReader.1.3.0.7_DelayedFullFetch.exe and tell me if it works fine for you. It should fetch 20 initial items and then immediatly fetch all additional unread items without a limitation in the number of items

Keep me updated if this works for you - if so it'll be part of the official 1.3.1 :)

May 11, 2010 at 2:24 AM
tlhanGhun wrote:

Could you try http://dl.dropbox.com/u/982128/Tlhan%20Ghun/DesktopGoogleReader/Setup-DesktopGoogleReader.1.3.0.7_DelayedFullFetch.exe and tell me if it works fine for you. It should fetch 20 initial items and then immediatly fetch all additional unread items without a limitation in the number of items

Keep me updated if this works for you - if so it'll be part of the official 1.3.1 :)

;) yeay! looks like it's working. now that it shows > 100 unread items. need output from other users too. thanks a lot!

May 12, 2010 at 1:40 AM

...but i noticed that after the first logged in, the program will only include only 20 unread items maximum. any idea?

Coordinator
May 12, 2010 at 4:24 AM

The version I gave you should load 20 initial items on startup and immediately on opening the main window (when you see the 20 unread items) it should update the list with all the additional ones (main window is unresponsible for a few moments). If this doesn't happen for you I will have another look :)

1.3.1 is making good progress anyway - I now have added Facebook, del.icio.us and Posterous :)

May 13, 2010 at 1:37 AM
Edited May 14, 2010 at 1:55 AM
tlhanGhun wrote:

The version I gave you should load 20 initial items on startup and immediately on opening the main window (when you see the 20 unread items) it should update the list with all the additional ones (main window is unresponsible for a few moments). If this doesn't happen for you I will have another look :)

1.3.1 is making good progress anyway - I now have added Facebook, del.icio.us and Posterous :)

i'm afraid it's not working for me. after reading all the 20 unread items upon startup, the program did not load the remaining unread items. thanks for having another look on this issue. what about other users?

Update May 14 : It's working, great! ;)

May 20, 2010 at 3:16 AM

I just tried 1.3.0.7_DelayedFullFetch but it still cannot display all my items... Beside, I use Folders in GR to separate my feeds and all folders are gone in Desktop Google Reader.  Do you have a 1000+ items limitation in it? I found it also do not keep history for already scanned items and re-start DGR need to re-scan all  items and wait a long long time.

Coordinator
May 20, 2010 at 5:44 AM
samsonluk wrote:

I just tried 1.3.0.7_DelayedFullFetch but it still cannot display all my items... Beside, I use Folders in GR to separate my feeds and all folders are gone in Desktop Google Reader.  Do you have a 1000+ items limitation in it? I found it also do not keep history for already scanned items and re-start DGR need to re-scan all  items and wait a long long time.

I just created a new testing account where I have more than 1000 unread items (normally I don't have more than 200 of them) and will have a look. I think the API automatically limits to 1000 items but maybe I will find a workaround for that

As with 1.x releases there is neither folder support nor is there any caching of items - this is all planned in 2.0

May 20, 2010 at 6:19 AM
FYI, I used a few GR clients in iPhone and they all don't have this 1000 limits.. they will only able to report 1000+ new items but all items are listed in each feed.  For Desktop Google Reader, it just read up to 1000 items and the rest of the feeds are simply not display / show at all.

On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 1:44 PM, tlhanGhun <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

samsonluk wrote:

I just created a new testing account where I have more than 1000 unread items (normally I don't have more than 200 of them) and will have a look. I think the API automatically limits to 1000 items but maybe I will find a workaround for that

As with 1.x releases there is neither folder support nor is there any caching of items - this is all planned in 2.0

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (desktopgooglereader@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email desktopgooglereader@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com

Coordinator
May 20, 2010 at 6:26 AM

I already had a look and am quite sure how to get more than 1000 items - it's just the case that I use that 1000+ until now as a limiter which doesn't need to be in the code at this place. Will check this as soon as I get hands on the code on fast internet again. I just shipped 1.3.1a1 which doesn't solve this problem so maybe an 1.3.1a2 will follow within a short time... :)

In general the missing cache is a problem if you have such an amount of items - it works but not perfect...

May 20, 2010 at 6:37 AM
I agreed, cached items is a MUST!!! Looking forward to this feature.