Feature requests and ideas

Coordinator
Aug 18, 2009 at 8:24 AM
Edited Oct 21, 2009 at 1:17 PM

This thread shall be used to throw ideas and requests for new features on us. I personally will also use it to keep in mind which ideas already came to my mind. So here I start with things I would love to see in this app (but this does not necessarily mean that they will be there in the near future :))

• Mark all items of a feed as read (you can this already by selecting one of its items, press ctrl+a to mark them all and then hit the read button) - done 1.0
  • Mark all feeds as read at once - done 1.0
  • Mark all items as read being older than x days/hours
  • Unsubscribe from a feed
  • Automatic update notification - done 1.2
  • Folders / Labels
  • Share a feed item (optionally with comment)
  • Show icons of the newsfeeds
  • Quick-Tweet a news entry (as having made a Snarl Tweet style recently I think this could be done quite fast... :))
  • Buttons to jump from news entry to news entry (next/last) - done 1.1 (arrow keys on keyboard)
  • Option to see read items
  • Optionally marking as read means marking as read on next polling time and not instantly
  • Put the title of the item in gib (<h1>) on top ot the text in the content frame. - done 1.0
  •  -> Linked to full article - done 1.1
  • Give feeds a user definable different display title
  • register in Windows as a possible default app for RSS (so clicking on a RSS feed in Firefix could start adding it in DeGoRe) - done 1.1
  • register one notification class per news feed in Snarl (to get the option to have different styles/settings per feed)
  • option to use different proxy as the system wide
  • Option to show linked webpage instead of summary per feed (e. g. if feed is crippled and has only the first 150 characters of a post)
  • -> make this automatic default if Title = Text within an entry or summary is empty - done 1.2
  • Show item publish date and time - done 1.2

Sep 25, 2009 at 8:51 AM

Hi first i would like to tell you that it's quite a good program you get here. I know it is still in it's baby steps but here are a few pointers to make it better. Also i must say english is not my main language and i will try to explain what i mean by the best words/grammer i got. I never learned it in school only of the interwebs and TV.

• First i would love to see the function that the program starts with windows. I know this can be done in windows itself but still that would be nice.
  • Second, the login only remembers my e-mail. I'm on a home computer I only use and i really hate that i have to type in my passwords over and over again if i know no one is ever going to use this Desktop without my permission and still there only rss feeds it's not that it has anything to do with bank information.
  • A way to adjust the popup notification (not really necessary but might be nice for some skins)
  • Also the sliders for the minutes it takes to refresh your feeds, and how many charaters there may be in a message. It's nice that you use sliders but i really think this should be in an option screen. Where you can just type in (or with ^ up and v down buttons you can get more or less. It also would be nice if you can let it refresh less than a minute.
  • Option to change the way the feed list looks. Now it's standard that you have one window of your new feeds (RSS pane), one window of a list of new feeds in the right groups (Feed pane), and one window with the Feed information itself (Info Pane) (i hope you understand what i mean). There should be an option to choose if you want to see only a list or disable the information pain. If your interested in the feed just click the button to look it op in Firefox.
  • Another thing about the Information pane would be very nice if you got (another) option to set if the information shown is the STRIPT DOWN feed or the REAL INFROMATION. (Strip down is what we see now only a bit of text into the window, the real information is the real website a link right directly to it.)
  • It would also be sooo cool if you could search in your feeds.
  • I love to have it put in the system tray when i close it.

I hope you understand all what i mean i could give you some more pointers on them if you like (not code wise i only know a little bit of coding myself) . But if you would like more explanation on some options i'm asking you can always e-mail me.

Thanks and major greetz from Me Redostrike (Belgium)

Coordinator
Sep 25, 2009 at 9:54 AM
Hi :)
Redostrike wrote:

Hi first i would like to tell you that it's quite a good program you get here. I know it is still in it's baby steps but here are a few pointers to make it better. Also i must say english is not my main language and i will try to explain what i mean by the best words/grammer i got. I never learned it in school only of the interwebs and TV.

I am from Germany so my English is also not that perfect ;)

• First i would love to see the function that the program starts with windows. I know this can be done in windows itself but still that would be nice.
  • Hm, thought about releasing 1.1 this weekend and I think I could at this feature as I did it already with some other tool I wrote :))
  • Second, the login only remembers my e-mail. I'm on a home computer I only use and i really hate that i have to type in my passwords over and over again if i know no one is ever going to use this Desktop without my permission and still there only rss feeds it's not that it has anything to do with bank information.
  • I think I will remembering the login the default and the checkbox shall ask for the storing of the password only
  • A way to adjust the popup notification (not really necessary but might be nice for some skins)
  • Did you try it with Snarl? Snarl has so many different styles... http://www.fullphat.net/styles/index.html
  • Also the sliders for the minutes it takes to refresh your feeds, and how many charaters there may be in a message. It's nice that you use sliders but i really think this should be in an option screen. Where you can just type in (or with ^ up and v down buttons you can get more or less. It also would be nice if you can let it refresh less than a minute.
  • Yeah - an extra window for options is planned for a future release :)
  • Option to change the way the feed list looks. Now it's standard that you have one window of your new feeds (RSS pane), one window of a list of new feeds in the right groups (Feed pane), and one window with the Feed information itself (Info Pane) (i hope you understand what i mean). There should be an option to choose if you want to see only a list or disable the information pain. If your interested in the feed just click the button to look it op in Firefox.
  • This one looks like being for a later release - I am just happy that it already works in the way it does ;)
  • Another thing about the Information pane would be very nice if you got (another) option to set if the information shown is the STRIPT DOWN feed or the REAL INFROMATION. (Strip down is what we see now only a bit of text into the window, the real information is the real website a link right directly to it.)
  • I see - 1.1 already features the "see full article" within the window by pressing a button at the bottom of the stripped version. One of my own wishes (see above) to have a per feed setting for automatically see the full version directly (for those crippled feeds with no real info in the summary)
  • It would also be sooo cool if you could search in your feeds.
  • Yes, it would - but to be honest first all basics have to work ;)
  • planned for 1.2 now :)

I hope you understand all what i mean i could give you some more pointers on them if you like (not code wise i only know a little bit of coding myself) . But if you would like more explanation on some options i'm asking you can always e-mail me.

Thanks for your suggestions - I am very open and only my lack of programming knowledge stopps me from doing all of them in a very short time. Don't hesitate to add more wishes :)

Thanks and major greetz from Me Redostrike (Belgium)

Greetings from Bavaria/Germany

Coordinator
Oct 3, 2009 at 8:08 PM
Redostrike wrote:
  • Second, the login only remembers my e-mail. I'm on a home computer I only use and i really hate that i have to type in my passwords over and over again if i know no one is ever going to use this Desktop without my permission and still there only rss feeds it's not that it has anything to do with bank informations

done in 1.1

Oct 3, 2009 at 8:45 PM

I must say a few things.

The read full article rocks just what i wanted. :) Would be nice if it could be turned on Forever too but it's very nice already.

The speed of the program is also better the 1.0 was a bit slow i think thats resolve now.

Major congrats on the improvements keep them comming.

Coordinator
Oct 3, 2009 at 8:48 PM

Happy that you like it - as you see the list of my own wishes stays long so there will be some more releases in the near future :)

Coordinator
Oct 24, 2009 at 10:35 AM
Redostrike wrote:

Done in 1.2

Minimize to tray as optional behaviour for the minimize button

Full feed item content is now shown automatically if the feed item has no content or if the content is the same as the title. Individual settings to follow with one of the next release with the "per feed settings" planned for that (e.g. also have different display title)

Coordinator
Oct 24, 2009 at 10:54 AM

BTW - current dev build is unfrequently updated at http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/982128/Tlhan%20Ghun/GoReDe/Setup-DesktopGoogleReader.exe

So if you want to see what's working already... ;)

May 17, 2010 at 8:42 PM

Folders would be the next thing, I hope.  Something I use CONSTANTLY in the Google Reader.

Coordinator
May 18, 2010 at 8:51 AM
caadoptees wrote:

Folders would be the next thing, I hope.  Something I use CONSTANTLY in the Google Reader.

Absolutely - this is one of the major targets of Desktop Google Reader 2.0 on which I will start work at as soon as 1.3.1 hits the road - see the 2.0 roadmap Roadmap for 2.0

May 19, 2010 at 4:33 AM

Excellent product. Any plans to support keyboard shortcuts similar to google reader?

Coordinator
May 19, 2010 at 7:43 AM
shivashenoy wrote:

Excellent product. Any plans to support keyboard shortcuts similar to google reader?

To be honest I have to have a look which shortcuts are available in Google Reader - but yes, there will be more than there are now. Just try the arrow keys and the delete keys to have the most important navigation and mark as read features :)

Jul 2, 2010 at 11:05 PM

Great job ... i liked the neat UI ...

i was wondering why you didnt add "offline mode"  >> download feeds to read it later... really it would be a great feature ..

thanks & looking for more features..

Coordinator
Jul 3, 2010 at 6:33 AM

Offline mode is planned with the new major release 2.0 which will bring some code rewrite from scratch. I would have started with that already but the current problems with the just changed login mechanism (not working buttons like mark as read or liking) needs to be fixed first...

Aug 11, 2010 at 5:04 AM

I would like to see a news ticker that I can run next to my toolbar so I can see the latest feeds without going into the application.  If I see some thing that catches my eye, I can click on it an it takes me to the post.  I cannot find any app to do this with Google reader as the source of feeds.

Coordinator
Aug 20, 2010 at 6:45 AM
dannyanders wrote:

I would like to see a news ticker that I can run next to my toolbar so I can see the latest feeds without going into the application.  If I see some thing that catches my eye, I can click on it an it takes me to the post.  I cannot find any app to do this with Google reader as the source of feeds.

Nice idea - would do something like this as a Snarl style - will give it a try when back with more free time :)

Feb 10, 2011 at 11:47 PM

I'd like to see the ability to publish to Evernote desktop added

Coordinator
Feb 11, 2011 at 9:42 AM

On the list now. Just found an includable API so might be done soon

Aug 10, 2011 at 3:09 PM

Loving it thus far. Would like to be able to switch more easily between my personal gmail and my google apps gmail. Most importantly, text/interface needs to be more customizable - you can zoom in on the article mini browser, but I can barely read the left and top boxes (I use a 40" LCD TV as my monitor and sit about 5ft. away from it.)

Sep 29, 2011 at 4:12 PM

How about adding some keyboard short cuts?

Oct 6, 2011 at 2:04 PM

Yup, really would love to see some Keyboard Shortcuts like R for read, or read and skip to the next one.. 

Coordinator
Oct 6, 2011 at 2:40 PM

Seems like my last reply did get lost here? Tried the first time to answer using repplying to the mail :(

Anyway: There are (few) keyboard shortcuts - but those are the requested once. The delete button marks the current item as read an the next unread one is selected automatically. The cursor keys up&down let you navigate through the items per feed (I am sure you already got that) but also cursor keys left and right can be used to change between the feed and items list window. The tab key opens the current item in your default browser. OK, that's quite not everyting I could think about but already the main stuff I need and use ;)

Oct 6, 2011 at 3:19 PM

Del button works) 

Tho it is not as comfortable as spacebar for example, or even some letter shortcut. I'm kinda get used to original google reader shortcuts, the only thing is I don't want to open up a browser to check updates)

Oct 6, 2011 at 3:27 PM

I'm also missing minimize shortcut - like ctrl Q or Esc, so I don't have to click with mouse to fold it into trey. 

Coordinator
Oct 6, 2011 at 3:30 PM

Agree - for me personally having the Snarl notifications is the main thing in Desktop Google Reader (has been the reason I started contributing to this project which finally let to me being mostly responsible from <1.0 up to now.

I plan to make a comeplete new app (as written on the homepage) as the current code structure is too limited for what I would like to get (which is out of the history of the project as originally being planned as a WPF playground). I have now so much more knowledge since I did Winslew and even more important Nymphicus for Windows that a start from scratch is the only real option I have. But I am a normal guy, having a >40h/week job, a family and other projects (Winslew is quite complete, Nymphicus is much to do right now on Facebook integration for 1.2 and Huntur is in a quite an early stage but needs to be done end of December (online) and April (Desktop). So I assume I just have not enough time to really go ahead :(

Shortcut changing to spacebar could be easy and maybe I'll take that moment and add some more - which one (key & function) would you like to see most (no promise on time schedule so)?

Coordinator
Oct 6, 2011 at 3:34 PM
daoseo wrote:

I'm kinda get used to original google reader shortcuts, the only thing is I don't want to open up a browser to check updates)

To be honest: I never used to browser version (may sound crazy but ever since I used clients as I came from NetNewsWire / FeedDemon when they cancelled their own service)

Oct 6, 2011 at 3:41 PM

Next + Read

quit (fold back to trey)

These are main 2 I would like to see..

Nice to have

-something like share shortcut tho I don't think I will share things very often)

-and Read all button.. tho, as I say these 2 is not nearly as important as first)

Apr 2, 2012 at 7:36 PM

I have downloaded the setup executable and attempted to launch it, but each time I am prompted for a user name and a password.  The user name defaults to "Administrator" but no password is provided.  What password should I use to execute the setup file?

Coordinator
Apr 2, 2012 at 7:39 PM

It asks for a Windows user with administrative privileges on your PC. So it looks like your own user is not a Windows administrator 

Apr 2, 2012 at 7:49 PM

For my edification, how do I login to my computer as a Windows administrator?

On Mon, Apr 2, 2012 at 11:39 AM, tlhanGhun <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

It asks for a Windows user with administrative privileges on your PC. So it looks like your own user is not a Windows administrator

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (desktopgooglereader@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email desktopgooglereader@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com

--
Toussaint L. Myricks
Managing Director
Myricks Consulting Group
P.O. Box 1358
Renton, WA 98057

direct: (206) 388-3666
cel: (206) 403-6017
fax: (206) 922-5628
Coordinator
Apr 2, 2012 at 7:53 PM

If it is your work PC it might be only your sys admins are allowed to so. On private PCs the one having installed the PC should know at least one administrator account and its password

Apr 2, 2012 at 9:15 PM

Yes, I am using my own home PC.

Oct 19, 2012 at 2:15 PM

I know the arrow keys can be used to change between articles. But I would like a keyboard method to scroll through an article that takes up more than one screen. Can you set a "focus" on the individual sub-windows, so the arrow behaviour changes depending on which area was last clicked?