Why does it require signing in?

Oct 26, 2012 at 5:48 PM

We don't need any account to get and read RSS feeds.

Why exactly then google desktop reader makes it compulsory for users to sign in?

I simultaneously downloaded and installed FeedDemon, that didn't ask me to sign in. thunderbird RSS parts also works well without signing in.

so much time and 22 MB downloading got wasted. What a foolish concept you guys have. Shame on you. Are you spying on users or what?

Rawat

Indore MP India

Coordinator
Oct 26, 2012 at 6:12 PM
Edited Oct 26, 2012 at 6:13 PM

Calm down and please read first what Google Reader really is: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Reader

Short version: with Google Reader your subscriptions and read states can be synced between multiple computers, smart phones and so on. You can use it in the browser or on desktop clients like this one or Reeder on Mac/iPhone.

Oct 26, 2012 at 6:19 PM
Edited Oct 26, 2012 at 6:19 PM
tlhanGhun wrote:

Calm down and please read first what Google Reader really is: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Reader

Short version: with Google Reader your subscriptions and read states can be synced between multiple computers, smart phones and so on. You can use it in the browser or on desktop clients like this one or Reeder on Mac/iPhone.

I don't want anything "synced between multiple computers, smart phones and so on."
I don't want to "use it in the browser"
I don't have "Mac/iPhone".

I just wasted my time and 22 MB bandwitdh trying something that doesn't even understand the basic concept of RSS feeds.

Anyway, I have removed feeddemon and have now settled with Opera Pro that does exactly what I wanted an offline newreader to do. And it doesn't require singing in.

Dig a deep hole and throw your google desktop reader in that. Signing in, uh.

--

Rawat

Coordinator
Oct 26, 2012 at 6:36 PM

Ok, you don't need the features of Google Reader and then start such a thread here with a negative habit!? 

If you want a RSS reader only get happy with Opera or whatever but don't blame us here creating a free(!) and open source(!) client with much more possibilities...

You might be surprised that most people love and need syncing. 

Finally I can write RSS by hand in any text editor since the first versions have been released of those specs back in the 90s! 

Yes, I am angry now...